Pages

Wednesday 11 December 2013

Benefits Of Using Coconut Oil In Your Hair


Coconut oil is one of the most multitalented oils around; it has amazing benefits and is used from head to toe, inside and out. I love coconut oil. I use it when cooking, for hair care and skin care; believe it or not, I, who has very oily acne prone skin, sometimes use coconut oil in place of a moisturiser! Check out our article on Oil Cleansing for more info on using oils to combat oily skin. Extensive research has been carried-out by scientist to determine the benefits of coconut oil for hair. It works well for every hair type and age. Coconut oil can:

Reduce Protein loss
Coconut oil has been proven to reduce protein loss whether your hair is damaged or not, it has a high affinity for proteins. Protein is what helps keep our hair strong and we lose a little every time we manipulate our hair. 

Penetrate the hair cuticle
Due to its low molecular weight and straight linear chain, coconut oil has the ability to penetrate the hair cuticle unlike other oils like mineral oil and sunflower oil.

Help keep hair moisturized
Coconut oil has the ability to help your hair retain moisture since it is not easily broken down.

Cure or prevent scalp problems
The anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties of coconut oil make it great for helping to cure or prevent scalp conditions such as dandruff. It also has a high amount of vitamin E which is a powerful antioxidant.

Reduce Hygral Fatigue
Hygral fatigue is damage to the hair that occurs as a result of the repeated process of the hair expanding while wet and contracting when it is drying. Everytime hair is wet it absorbs water and expands, as it dries, it releases water and contracts. Coconut oil can help combat the effects of hygral fatigue especially when used as a pre-poo treatment.

 
Coconut Oil is truly a Super Star! Used as a pre-poo treatment or mixed with your deep conditioner, there are many ways you can use it in your hair care regimen. Give it a try and let us know how it works out.

Read more over at The COCO Magazine.

12 comments:

  1. Hey! Great blog! I love finding other Caribbean bloggers. What brand coconut oil to you use? Most of the ones that I've tried have such an overpowering scent! Doesn't the oil make your skin even "oiler"? Happy Posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chari, thanks for stopping by! :)
      The brands of coconut oil I have used are Nutiva, Spectrum and Nature's Way, I buy what I can get here in Trinidad. They all smell great, nothing like what my grandparents used to make lol. The key words I look for when buying coconut oil are Unrefined and Cold-Pressed. Coconut oil actually leaves my skin feeling smooth and silky as opposed to oily, it's great, I love it!

      Delete
  2. I'm acne prone and evco is lovely for my skin. My skin made a tremendous comeback with using it as a face moisturizer. My hair loves it too. I haven't used it on my body all that often. However, I have whipped up some shea butter with mixing in some evco. Yum.
    Divachyk @Relaxed Thairapy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit skeptical of using it on my face at first but I simply asked myself, "What's the worse that can happen?" It all worked out great, now I'm in love! lol

      Delete
  3. Not to self: Buy more coconut oil
    I ran out a while ago and pretty much forgot about it!
    Thanks for reminding me :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go get some! Coconut oil is the one product I never run out of.

      Delete
  4. I can't do without coconut oil. My daughter and I use about 1 litre every month...hahhahahhaha.....a bit heavy handed here but we mix it in everything and prepoo with it too. Love, love, love.......love coconut oil loads!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey hon, I nominated you for a Liebster award! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete